Monday, January 16, 2017

#134 I'm Hungry

You know the child who is always hungry? That's Jack. Only, he's not actually always hungry. But years down the road, I want it remembered that he always said he was.

At least, he almost always says he is. There are two times in his life when Jack uses this phrase. When he is actually hungry (which is rather frequent), and when someone, to whom he doesn’t wish to speak, speaks to him. In other words, at all social gatherings.

Stranger (or rather, good friend or relative, who has seen Jack a dozen times, and is more than friendly): Hey, Jack! Wow, you're getting so big! How are you?

Jack: (ignoring stranger) Mama, I'm hungry.

We all have a coping mechanism, I guess.

Most people gain weight over the holidays because of the surplus goodies, snacks, and feasts. Jack gains weight because of the surplus social gatherings and parties and people wanting to converse. Oh, I love my "hungry" Jack!

No comments: