Friday, July 30, 2021

#144 As Old as Dinosaurs.

 You know how we as parents will make jokes about ourselves, or rather, we joke about our kids and how they might view us? We might say,  “Back when I was a kid and dinosaurs roamed the earth...” I’m starting to think I need to clarify that joke. 

I’m going to keep these children’s names anonymous. They can read, and occasionally DO read this blog. (In case you’re wondering, that rules out Tommy because he can’t read, and Sammy, because he doesn’t read this blog). I’m not positive, but I think one (or both) of them might appreciate a little anonymity.

Now, I’m not sure what context I missed as I walked in on this conversation, it might clear the whole misunderstanding up. But this is what I did hear:

Child 1: They didn’t have printers back then!

Child 2: Yes, they did!

Child 1: No, they didn’t. 

Child 2: Yes. They did. They had prints. They printed stuff. Dinosaur prints

Child 1 (as though that presented a logical argument now stumping him or her): Huh. Oh yeah. 

Child 2: See? They had printers back then.

Child 1 (now convinced): Yeeeeah. 

It’s a joke. It’s 100% not possible that I, or your father, anyone you know, or anyone you did know, or heard mention of, ever lived when dinosaurs roamed the earth. We are joking when we say that. No human ever lived with dinosaurs. And despite (un)popular belief, humans invented printers. 

No comments: