Tuesday, October 18, 2011

#67 Ch

This is an ongoing, recurring "cute thing". It's actually ceased to be cute for the present. Hopefully in years to come when I read this it will be cute again. It is a Harrington rule (as I'm sure it is with most families) to buckle up upon getting in the car. As with all rules the "buckle up" rule is met with opposition. But Brecken's methods have switched from protesting to this.

Me: (settling into the driver's seat) Ok. Buckle up.
Brecken: Ch. (yes she really says "ch")
Me: (sweetly) Come on, Breck. Buckle up.
Brecken: I did. Didn't you hear it?
Me: (a little less sweetly) Honey, you need to buckle up.
Brecken: (in mock defeat) Fine..... Ch.
Me: (not very sweetly at all) Brecken, I know that sound isn't buckling up. Please, buckle up now.
Brecken: (now in amazement) How do you know?!

The same dialogue has occurred dozens of times, with few variations. She continues to think her buckle mimicking is superb enough to fool me. I continue to see right through it. She continues to be amazed at my power of discernment. I continue to enforce the "buckle up" rule. I would love to see into her mind "Maybe this time. This time."

No comments: