Saturday, January 29, 2011

#61 Mispronunciations

Taylor is now officially making it to cute things. Oh, she has always been cute, but now that she is talking (I'm using that term loosely)... She'll probably be taking over cute things soon. Now, this is probably only cute to me, because I can still hear her two-year-old, speech-impedimented little voice.

Taylor and I were in the toy room. As I was leaving, Taylor asked me if I could leave the light on... only it sounded like this:

Taylor: Wee wa wight on. K?
Me: (just encouraging correct pronunciation) Wee wa wight on?
Taylor: (thinking "slower" will solve the communication barrier) No. Wee. Wa. Wight. On.
Me: Wee wa wight on? (at this point, I was just having a little fun)
Taylor:(decides to go with the old repeat after me) No. Thay (say) Weeeeee.
Me: (mimicking her exact tone) Weeeeee.
Taylor: (long, thoughtful, seven second pause) Turn da wight on. K?

Oh, the cute, poor little girl. She realized something that day. She could not say leave the light on. Mom's probably too big a tease. I couldn't resist. But she's resilient. And just so she didn't feel like a total failure I added "Oh! did you say leave the light on?!" which was answered with peels of laughter. And, yes, I weft wa wight on.

No comments: